Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Oh Soul

“Oh soul,
you worry too much.
You have seen your own strength.
You have seen your own beauty.
You have seen your golden wings.
Of anything less,
why do you worry?
You are in truth
the soul, of the soul, of the soul.” Rumi

The New Year has begun and life has taken the most amazing of flows. Before the end of the year I saw a program on Candide. I read Candide, in French, in high school. In Voltaire's amazing critique of religion and aristocracy Pangloss, the mentor, kept saying, "the best of all possible worlds", even when the hapless band got in the most absurd, soap operary situations. I found Pangloss' philosophy to be insane, but was conflicted because I also believed in fate. A fate that "forced" us to accept our lot in life. Maturity has led me to believe that Pangloss was not completely wrong except for his unconscious acceptance of the things that occurred, and of course his bad choices. I believe we have the choice to become conscious participant in our life. And as choices leads to outcomes we can accept life in all it's beauty and pain, then and only then we can say "this is the best of all possible worlds."
I won't say I have a resolution for the new year but I endeavour to continue pursuing this freedom ride I am on. For far too long I lived an unconscious life, fearing accepting the power of my inner self. Once I acknowledge there is more to me than me I am responsible. So I ignore the craving inside myself to get out of my own way.
I found this poem by Rumi this morning and it summed up thoughts to myself this year. The mantra by which I need to live by. Sometimes we just need to be reminded of our greatness.

Stay Blessed
kam


No comments:

Post a Comment